By Linda Gavrielov, MS, RD, CDN
Registered Dietitian, The Ripa Center for Women’s Health and Wellness
Making nutritious choices during the holidays can be a difficult time for many people. It is especially tough if you have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes. The good news is that it is manageable and can be equally delicious if you plan ahead.
Use the following tips to enjoy this holiday season while still controlling your blood sugars:
- Have a balanced snack prior to arriving at a social event.
- Avoid rushing to the food when you arrive.
- Fill your plate with vegetables and salad before hitting the entrees and desserts.
- Choose foods that you really want and keep the portions small.
- Eat slowly and savor each bite.
- Beware of liquid calories from soda, wine, beer, and other alcohol.
- Drink sparkling water with lemon or lime in between alcoholic drinks and food.
- Socialize a distance away from the food.
- Make a healthful and delicious dish to share.
- Take a walk with friends or family members after eating.
For a personalized consultation, contact Linda at DietitianLinda@cooperhealth.edu.