Congratulations to this year’s Spirit of Planetree Physician Champion and Caregiver of the Year: Michael E. Chansky, M.D., Chief, Emergency Department, and Barbara A. McCarty, Director of Child Life Services.
The Spirit of Planetree Awards promote patient and family-centered care by recognizing those who personalize and demystify the health care experience for our patients. Our Physician Champion and Caregiver of the Year will be recognized at the national Planetree conference in October.
Thank you to all who nominated colleagues in these two categories. We received a record number of nominations this year.
The Caregiver Award recognizes that a caregiver has a unique opportunity to positively influence the way health care is delivered. No matter what our role is at Cooper each of us is a caregiver – directly serving our patients and families or supporting others who do so.
In the nomination for Barbara McCarty, she was described as a “wonderful caregiver in many different ways. As the Coordinator of the Child Life Program, it is not only her job, but it is her passion… Barbara’s dedication in this area is evident in her work for the Remember the Children Program, an annual program for the families of pediatric patients who have died, now in its 15th year. This ceremony is so meaningful to the families who come and participate in remembering a child. Barb is an amazing person; someone to look up to.”
Congratulations to all of the caring and dedicated nominees in this category:
- Kimberly Browne, Social Worker, Care Management
- John Bucci, Manager, Patient Accounting
- Tracy Degner, Senior Surgical Scheduler, Orthopaedics
- Daniel Delgado, Trauma Technician, Trauma ICU
- Anna Edwards, Cooper Volunteer in the Child Life Program
- Patricia Pearlman, R.N., Staff Nurse, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Arlene Skelly, Director, Patient Relations
- Pat Stienes, Assistant Director of Medical Imaging, Radiology
- Lillian Ubarry, Outreach Coordinator, Medicine
The Physician Champion Award recognizes a physician who champions the philosophy of patient and family-centered care and who is a role model for other medical staff members.
In the nomination form for Michael Chansky, M.D., he was described as being “recognized by patients and colleagues as a physician who exemplifies patient and family-centered care. He is a leader of collaborative partnerships to improve the Patient Experience in the ED. This level of engagement is a model for all physician staff as well as the clinical leadership of the organization…His dedication to his patients has even led him to respond to patient concerns while on vacation…We are proud to work with Mike Chansky.”
Congratulations to our other caring and dedicated nominees in this category:
- Mark Angelo, M.D., Medical Director, Palliative Care Program
- Gerald Falasca, M.D., Rheumatology
- Fredrick Ginsberg, M.D., Cardiology
- Isaac Halickman, M.D., Cardiology
- Jean-Sebastien Rachion, M.D., Critical Care Fellow
- Frank Urbano M.D., Physician Advisor, Care Management
- Perry Weinstock, M.D., Division Head, Cardiology