MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper was recently recognized by the American Cancer Society (ACS) for our collaboration in furthering our shared mission to eliminate cancer and improve the lives of those diagnosed with cancer through our research, advocacy, support, and patient programs efforts.
In 2017, MD Anderson Cooper partnered with ACS on many cancer prevention and education programs including:
- 80% by 2018 Program – an initiative designed to improve colorectal cancer screening rates in our communities through coordinated leadership, strategic planning, advocacy and access to colorectal cancer screening services. MD Anderson Cooper engaged more than 25 community partners in both Camden County and Burlington County to increase screening rates in our communities.
- Amate A Ti Misma – a program offered in collaboration with ACS, MD Anderson Cooper and Univision to provide free mammograms to uninsured or underinsured women in our community.
- Mission: HPV Cancer Free – a program designed to increase HPV vaccination coverage as a way to reduce illness and death from HPV-associated cancers, through coordinated leadership, strategic planning and advocacy. MD Anderson Cooper has made HPV vaccination a high priority and is a strategic partner in this mission. The HPV Cancer Free initiative aims to increase national HPV vaccination series completion rates among 13-year-olds to at least 80% by June 8, 2026 – the 20 year anniversary of the first HPV vaccine.
In addition to prevention and community collaborations, in 2017 MD Anderson Cooper provided sponsorships to ACS fundraising and awareness events including:
- The Relay for Life events held in Cinnaminson, in Camden County, and at Rutgers Camden.
- Hope Gala
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in Pennsauken
- Pink Party
- Real Men Wear Pink
MD Anderson Cooper physicians and nurses were honored at many of these events for their work in the field of cancer patient care, research and advocacy.
In addition to receiving received grant funding thorough the ACS for patient education and disease management programs, MD Anderson Cooper provided patients with access to ACS program to ease the burden of cancer including:
- Look Good Feel Better – a complimentary image enhancement program for MD Anderson Cooper patients.
- Road to Recovery – which provides free rides to and from cancer treatments for patients who do not have transportation to active treatments.
- Wig Programs – MD Anderson Cooper is one of only two sites in Southern NJ to be selected for the ACS Mud Pie Wig Voucher program.
- Cancer Survivors and Caregivers network.
- Lodging – through the Hotel Partner Program ACS provides access to lodging for cancer patients who are traveling to received medical care related to their diagnosis with participating hotels.
When it comes to treating cancer for you or your loved one, you want the best experts by your side. Today, you have access to the most advanced cancer care right here in New Jersey. To learn more about MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper, click here.