These boneless “wings” made with white-meat chicken and baked in the oven are a great alternative to traditional greasy, fried wings for about a third of the calories—and your guests will love them!
- 3 lbs chicken breast, cut into ½-inch nuggets
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cup bread crumbs, Italian or panko
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 cup hot sauce, (Frank’s Red Hot, Louisiana Style or whatever you like)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, lightly oil/spray a sheet pan and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix water and egg whites together to make the egg wash, and then set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread crumbs, peppers, salt, and paprika, set aside.
- Set-up a station for breading the chicken. Have a bowl/platter for each mixture (cornstarch, egg wash, bread crumbs).
- Begin to bread the chicken nuggets: Toss chicken in cornstarch, pat off excess cornstarch, then dip chicken into the egg wash, remove excess and toss in the bread crumb mixture. Once nuggets are fully coated, place each on a sheet pan about ½ inch apart.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until center of chicken nugget reaches about 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While chicken is cooking, place hot sauce in a small pot. In a small bowl, make slurry with the cornstarch and water, slowly whisk into hot sauce, and cook until sauce thickens.
- Once chicken comes out of oven, either toss with hot sauce, or place hot sauce on side for dipping. Serve warm with cold, non-fat or low-fat blue cheese dressing.
Makes about 60 nuggets.
6 nuggets = 160 kcal, 12 g protein, 1 g fat, 19 g carbohydrates