These pizza rolls are double the size of frozen pizza pockets, for about a third of the calories.
- 1 packet egg roll wonton wrappers (21 wrappers)
- 1½ cups Italian cheese blend, reduced fat (mozzarella, provolone, asiago)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, reduced fat
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoon dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup turkey pepperoni slices, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup turkey Italian sausage, cooked, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg white with 2 tablespoons water mixed together (egg wash)
- 2 cups marinara (any favorite red sauce will do; see this recipe for a simple marinara)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, lightly oil/spray a sheet pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, basil, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, and set aside.
- Set up a station to begin making egg rolls with a bowl of each individual ingredient (pepperoni, cheese blend, sausage).
- Lay out an egg roll wrapper so that it is a diamond, with a corner pointing toward you. (If the egg roll wrapper was a compass, the end facing you would be south, the point to the left being east, and the corner to the right west. Spoon about ¼ cup of cheese mixture into the center of the diamond, laying mixture horizontally from east to west. Top with a few a few sprinkles of pepperoni and sausage, being careful not to over fill.
- Begin rolling the egg roll by taking the south end and bringing it toward the north corner, pressing down lightly on the mixture. Bring the east and west sides inward, toward the center, and continue to roll forward toward the north point. With your finger, dab a few droplets of water on the north corner, and finish roll. Water will help hold the egg roll together.
- Continue these steps for remaining egg rolls, placing them about ½ inch apart on the already greased baking sheet. Before placing in the oven, brush egg wash on top of each egg roll. This will help crisp up the egg rolls and give a nice sheen.
- Bake egg rolls for about 20-25 minutes, until they become golden brown.
- Serve with a side of marinara.
Makes 21 egg rolls.
Each egg roll contains about 130 calories, 11 g protein, 3 g fat and 15 g carbohydrates.
Recipe by Joshua George, RD, chef and dietitian, Cooper Center for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.