7 ounces beet greens (15 leaves with stems)
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ cup chopped red onion (3 ounces)
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 capful of vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 ½ tablespoon lemon zest (yellow part only)
2 large eggs
2 egg whites or ½ cup egg substitute
½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
¼ cup flavored bread crumbs
- Wash and pat-dry beet greens. Coarsely chop and set them aside.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, vinegar, and pepper to a large nonstick pan heated over medium high flame. Sauté for one minute, stirring frequently.
- Add in the greens, lower to medium heat and continue cooking for five minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the lemon zest, mix thoroughly. Adjust seasonings. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, cheese and breadcrumbs. Add the vegetable mixture and combine well using a wooden spoon.
- Over a medium flame, heat a 5 ½ inch cast iron frying pan, previously coated with vegetable spray. Drop ½ cup of vegetable mixture into pan, slightly flatten with the back of a fork and cook for approximately 2 minutes each side. Continue until all the vegetable-egg mixture is cooked. Serve hot, warm, or cold.
Servings per recipe: 4
Amount per serving: 170 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 10 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fiber, 13 grams protein
For more healthy diet ideas or a personalized consultation, contact Ripa Center Dietitian Linda Gavrielov, RD, MS, CDN, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 856.673.4923.