Overindulging at parties and get-togethers can easily result in unwanted weight gain. Registered Dietitian Linda Gavrielov from The Ripa Center for Women’s Health and Wellness at Cooper offers her holiday tips and tricks for enjoying a healthy holiday season.
- Have a balanced snack prior to arrival at holiday parties.
- Avoid rushing to the food when you arrive at the event.
- Fill your plate with vegetables and salad before hitting the entrees and desserts.
- Choose foods that you really want, and keep the portions small.
- Eat slowly and savor each bite.
- Beware of liquid calories from soda, wine, beer and alcohol.
- Drink sparkling water with lemon or lime in between alcoholic drinks and food.
- Socialize a distance away from the food.
- Make a healthful and delicious dish to share.
- Take a walk with your friends, family members or coworkers after eating.
- Enjoy your special holiday foods. Moderation is key, forget the all-or-nothing mindset.
- Aim to maintain your weight. Trying to lose weight during the holidays may be a self-defeating goal.
Linda comes to Cooper with a fitness background as well as a range of outpatient nutrition experience. She completed her dietetic internship and earned her Master’s Degree in Clinical Nutrition from New York University in 2009. Since then, Linda has been providing both individualized medical nutrition therapy as well as nutrition education in group format.
Register today for Linda’s free nutritional classes at the Ripa Center:
New Year, New You – Nutrition Workshop
Join Linda Gavrielov, MS, RD, the Ripa Center’s new on-staff dietitian, as she helps you understand nutrition and what steps you can take for starting off the year right.
Ladies Weight Management Lunch and Learn
Linda Gavrielov, MS, RD, will host a discussion on weight management. Over a light lunch, she’ll discuss general nutrition guidelines and approaches you can take to managing your weight.