Earlier this year, Cooper and other New Jersey hospitals were mandated by the governor to suspend elective surgery and other invasive procedures to allow health care providers to prepare for a possible COVID-19 surge and focus on treating patients who were hospitalized because of COVID-19. At that time, we were required to limit surgeries to emergencies and procedures that could not be postponed.
Restrictions on elective surgeries and other procedures were lifted at the end of May. Since then, we have prioritized scheduling procedures delayed by the COVID-19 ban, and more than 1,000 patients have safely had their elective surgery completed. Elective procedures are operations and procedures your doctors consider necessary but that can be delayed if necessary. It is important for your health and safety to schedule any delayed surgery now, and we want you to feel comfortable and confident doing so. We have put extra safety measures in place for patients to have the elective surgeries that they need, both inpatient and outpatient. If you’ve been waiting to schedule your diagnostic procedure or treatment, now is the time to get the care you need.
Extra Steps to Keep You Safe
You can be confident scheduling your elective surgery or procedure knowing that Cooper has gone above and beyond CDC guidelines and recommendations from the New Jersey Department of Health and The Joint Commission—an organization that sets safety standards for health care.
Cooper has earned the 2020 Patient Safety Excellence Award from Healthgrades™— the second year in a row.
Cooper is the only health system in South Jersey to receive this award for delivering the safest and most effective medical care.
Here are some of the steps we have taken to keep you safe
- All Cooper surgical suites and patient rooms are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between patients, and hand sanitizer is available at the entrance to all rooms.
- All surgical patients are tested for COVID-19 within three days of their surgery.
- Before entering our buildings, everyone is screened with COVID-19 questionnaires and temperature checks.
- Everyone wears a mask and necessary personal protective equipment.
- Physical distancing is provided in waiting areas, and no visitors are allowed in these areas.
- Our teams work with patients to ensure that you are as healthy as possible before surgery and that you stay healthy while in the hospital.
Don’t Put Your Health on Hold
If your physician thinks you are a candidate for an elective procedure, please call us at 800.8.COOPER (800.826.6737).